Claiming Your Statutory Accident Benefits

Claiming Your Statutory Accident Benefits

If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident in the province of Ontario, you should be aware that you are entitled to statutory accident benefits as per the Statutory Accident Benefits Schedule (SABS). Anyone who is injured and suffers damages can receive these benefits, but first, you must follow the necessary steps. If you’re not sure where to start when involved in an accident, read on as we outline everything you need to know about claiming your statutory accident benefits.


Who pays the benefits?

Statutory accident benefits are a no-fault insurance coverage that is actually part of your auto insurance policy. If you are injured or your car is damaged in an accident, then regardless of who is at fault, you will need to deal with your own insurance company for the damages.  If you don’t have an auto insurance policy, you can still claim the benefits from the other person who was involved. If neither of those involved has auto insurance, then you are entitled to claim the benefits from the government’s Motor Accident Claims Fund.


What is covered?

The benefits are to provide compensation for expenses to treat your injury, to replace your income while you recover, and to provide care for you during the recovery process. The types that are covered include the following categories:

  • Income Replacement Benefit
  • Non-Earner Benefit, Caregiver Benefit
  • Housekeeping and Home Maintenance Benefit
  • Attendant Care Benefit
  • Medical and Rehabilitation Benefit
  • Death and Funeral Benefits

There may also be further benefits you can claim, however it is recommended that you seek legal counsel who can help you better understand the benefits that are available to you.


How to receive the benefits?

If you are injured in an accident you do not automatically qualify for the accident benefits. Each category has its own criteria for qualifying. And to receive any statutory accident benefits, a form needs to be filled out that reports your accident and related injuries.


How to fill out the Statutory Accident Benefits form?

After you report the accident to your insurance company, you’ll receive the form. However, you must report the accident within seven days of the occurrence to qualify. And you will only have 30 days to complete the form and return it back to your insurance company. The process and qualifying criteria can often be confusing and complex. Talking to a legal representative who understands the system can help walk you through the process so you gain the most benefits possible.

Everyone involved in a motor accident has the right to claim statutory accident benefits. If you have been involved in an accident, talk to your insurance company and personal injury lawyers at Zuber Brioux who can help you better understand your rights and options.